At Jupina Dental located in Hayward, California, Dr. Jupina and Dr. Makhani offer periodontal disease treatment for our patients experiencing gum disease. Left untreated, gingivitis (a mild form of gum disease) will progress into periodontitis. While improved oral hygiene can often restore gum health while in the milder stages, once it advances it is much more difficult to resolve.
If plaque spreads below the gum line, bacteria cause toxins to release which then irritate your gums. These toxins cause the body to respond to constant inflammation by breaking down the tissue in the mouth as well as the bones supporting your teeth. Once the gums pull back from the teeth, spaces (pockets) form and the gums and become infected. With time, these pockets become deeper as gum tissue and bone is destroyed, potentially resulting in tooth loss.
Typically, periodontitis treatments may involve any of the following procedures:
– Scaling and root planing: a deep cleaning of the root surfaces, sometimes followed up with antibiotics.
– Gum graft surgery: where exposed tooth roots are covered with gum tissue to prevent continued recession and bone loss.
– Bone grafts: reversing some of the damage from lost bone and tissue.
– Dental crown lengthening: adjusts the gum and bone levels to expose more of the natural tooth.
– Dental implants: replaces a lost tooth or teeth by placing an artificial tooth root into your jaw via a tooth or bridge.
– Pocket reduction: a procedure done to the pockets, by folding back the gum tissue, removing the bacteria, and securing the tissue.
If you are experiencing periodontitis, we invite you to schedule an appointment with Dr. Jupina or Dr. Makhani by calling 510.783.1414 today. We provide periodontal disease treatment for our patients in Hayward, California, needing periodontal relief.